Saturday, March 7, 2009

Ham and O-So-Cheesy Calzone

If you like ricotta cheese, this is simply ricotta heaven! The pizza place has nothing on me! You must try this. I guarrantee you will never buy calzones from your local pizza place again.

I cooked my calzone in the Xpress Redi Set Go without the divider insert, but I am sure you could cram one of these calzones into a well.

all-purpose flour, for working your dough (a palmful or so)
fresh, ready-to-use dough, room temperature (prepared by your grocery store or pizza place) (1/4 lb. of dough makes 1 calzone)

mix the following ingredients together: (this measurement is per calzone)

1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup mozzerella cheese
2 slices deli ham, chopped into 1" pieces
grated romano or parmesan cheese - 1 tsp.
salt and pepper, a sprinkle or two
garlic powder, a sprinkle or two
olive oil, just enough to coat your calzone

Preheat your GT Xpress or Redi Set Go. Meanwhile, place flour on your counter to easily work your dough into shape. Just keep tugging on it and rolling it with a rolling pin until you get a 5" round. It will be stubborn and try to keep shrinking on you, so do your best. Place ricotta, ham, mozzerella, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and grated cheese mixture in the center of your dough. Fold dough in half, and crimp edges really well, so you don't have an explosion or blowout while cooking. Brush top and bottom of calzone with olive oil and place in cooker. Cook 7 minutes. (see photo, I know it's messy, but when I cut into that calzone, it was a cheese volcano!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your great blog. I have enjoyed seeing your successes. Can't wait to play with my new kitchen toy.

GT Xpress 101

GT Xpress 101